Miso-bean curd with beef, Peas Rice (Dinner 22 June)
This is called Ma-bo Tofu in Japan and Ma-po Tofu in China. Very popular menu in any chinese restaurants. Instead for using chinese black bean sauce, I make this with Japanese Miso. Miso makes the flavour slightly milder than with the Chinese bean sauce.
Ingredients of Miso Bean Curd:
Tofu (250g), minced beef (70g), 2 spring onions, 1 tablespoonful chopped ginger, 1 clove of garlic
Seasoning A: 1 teaspoonful miso, chicken bone stock (1 teaspoon)/chicken stock (1/2 cube), 1/2 teaspoonful chili, 1 teaspoon oyster sauce, 60cc hot water: put everything in a bowl to dissolve
Seasoning B: 1 tablespoonful Mirin or Taiwanese sake
Seasoning C: 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon soy sauce.1 teaspoonful starch flower (disolved in 60cc water)
|Seasoning A in the bowl |
and soy sauce and sesame oil
1. Wrap the tofu with kitchen paper and microwave it for 1 min to drain the water2. Chop spring onions, garlic and ginger. By making some long strokes lengthwise on the spring onion before starting to cut widthwise, you can make a nice small pieces of spring onion
3. Soak the beef with Seasoning B for 5-10 mins
4. Heat up a large frying pan and add 1 tablespoonful vegetable oil. Fry the spring onion, garlic, ginger and minced beef
5. When the beef is done, add roughly cut tofu and simmer with seasoning A for 4 mins. Once it become boiling, add the seasoning C and keep heating until the suce gets thick
Directions of Peas Rice:
1. Remove peas from pods and cook them in boiling water for 5 mins.
2. Add on the top of cooked rice with pinches of salt and mix well from the bottom.
Total time to prepare: 40 mins
Total cost: 4.50 pounds (2 pounds for Tofu, 70p for peas, 80p for beef, 1 pound for other veggies (including salad))