Chilli Oil, the magic sauce
This chilli oil is a handy weapon in my cooking. I tried to mimic a hand-made chilli oil from Ishigaki Island of Okinawa several times and came out in this way. I make this once in two months at least. Just dressing or topping on salad, noodle, tofu, this chilli oil makes the dish stunning taste. It's a magic.
Garlic: 2-3 cloves
Crushed chilli: 1 tablespoon
Pine nuts:2 tablespoon
Ground turmeric: 1 tablespoon
Honey: 1 teaspoon
Sesame oil: 3 tablespoons
Soy-sauce: 1 tablespoon
Thai fish sauce: 3-4 drops
1. Chop the spring onions and garlic as tiny as possible2. Grind pine nuts roughly
3. Heat a large frying pan in medium temperature and fry the veggies with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil for 4-5 mins. Occasionally stir them with a spatula
4. Add chilli and keep frying for 4-5 mins
5. Add pine nuts and keep frying for 4-5 mins6. Add turmeric. Now the veggies became brown and crispy
7. Add sesame oil and keep heating till the veggies become slightly burnt (for 1 min)8. Turn off the heat and add soy sauce and fish sauce while stirring well.
9. Store in a boiled bin with a lid. Keep refrigerated and use it up within a month.
Time to prepare: 25 mins
Total cost: Less than 1 pound
Examples of serving chilli oil
Add lemon juice and salt, top on the salad.
Top on the warm or cold tofu.