Cold Tempura Udon
Adding tempura makes the simple udon dish luxury. The combination of cold udon and crispy tempura is very summery feast.
|Prawn Tempura and Kakiage (Mixed veggies tempura)|
Ingredients of Shrimp Tempura and Kakiage for two people
- 4 fresh shrimp without head and shell
- Broad Beans
- 1/3 onion
- 200cc of Tempura flour+100cc of cold sparkling water. Alternatively, 1cup of plain flour, 1 egg york and 80cc+ cold sparkling water
- Vegetable oil to deepfry
1. Slice onion thinly, cut squid into small bite sized and peel the skins of broad beans.
2. Mix tempura butter. Sparking water helps tempura batter to become light and crispy
3. Put all kakiage ingredients into a bowl. Dust the surface of veggies and squid with plain flour by hand. This helps all kakiage pieces attach together when deepfried
7. Place the kakiage over a paper towel to remove extra oil.
8. For making shrimp tempura, pour some leftover batter over the tempura piece to create a nice crispy dots.
The direction of tempura and kakiage also can be found:
There are some kinds of udon available in the UK. The raw or dried. I love the dried one from Sanuki Region (western part of Japan) where they produce and consume udon the most in Japan.
Boil udon noodles as directed and put them into a running water through a net to cool them down.
Directions of udon sauce:Put 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 tablespoonfuls of mirin, 1 cup of Dashi, the Japanese fish stock. Add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
Serve udon with tempura, sauce in a small bowl, tiny wasabi and thinly sliced spring onion.
Total time to prepare: 50 mins
Total cost: 4.7 pounds (2 pounds for 4 pieces of prawns, 0.2 pounds for squid, 0.5 pounds for veggies, 2 pounds for udon noodles)